Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Animation Supplied

I bought some supplies:

I intend to spend as much as I need to for this project, but I also have to keep in mind that I will be running through paper and pencils while learning. So the best quality paper and pencils are not warrented, but pencils don't cost too much, so I wanted to try them.

The colored COL-Erase pencils are special pencils that are easier to erase and write over. In animation red is for the construction of the line, blue is for a committed line (light blue for traces) and black for final commited lines. Other colors are sometimes used to designate other types of lines, such as purple for corrections to make it easier to clean up. A cornerstone of animation is to draw the same thing over and over, adding and refining in the process.

As for paper, I'm using a 12F paper, that's a little bigger than Xerox (8 1/2 x 11) paper and is more animator friendly. They go for about $35 for 1000 sheets + shipping. Good paper is about $75, and pro (Pixar-Disney) quality ranges from $100-400/1000 sheets based on the size. I'm getting this from animationsupplies.com which does round hole punching. That means i can use a normal hole puncher on regular paper if i run out of animation paper. They did advise against buying prepunched paper Xerox paper, as the punches are a little too big.

As for the lightbox, I wish I had a giant one, but this will do for now. It can sit beside my small wacom tablet.

No comments: